Monday, October 26, 2009

Remodeling the Basement - kitchen/laundry area




Three years ago when my husband and I bought our house, we were very excited about the partially finished basement and all the opporunities in finishing it. The space in the basement is divided, more or less, down the middle by a concrete wall that runs the length of the house. Since our first walk-through of the space we have agreed that one side would be ideal for a family room and the other side for a second kitchen (or canning kitchen) including a laundry center and a small bathroom. Having finally decided on a layout for the space, we can begin the process of finishing it out.

I have spent a good deal of time on the internet seeking out inspiration for the design and have come up with several rooms to pull ideas from. In the first photo, I really like how organized and bright the space is. I like how the space doesn't scream laundry room. In my basement, I have 4 fairly large windows so I should be able to use a little warmer color and still have it be a bright space. In the second photo, I love the use of the tip out bins for neatly sorting laundry. I will probably use slide out bins, however. The third photo is an example of concrete floors. Our plan includes something similar to this on both the floors and the countertops. Did I mention that we are doing all the work ourselves? The last photo is an example of the finish I plan to use on the cabinets. When the main kitchen was remodeled, all of the old cabinets were saved for reuse in this basement project so I will be adding some molding to create the decorative design on the cabinets and then painting them.




















































































2 comments:

  1. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. reformas zaragoza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the info, keep up the good work going.... I really enjoyed exploring your site. good resource... Edificaintegral

    ReplyDelete